Vadodara is called as Sanskari Nagari (Disciplined City) of Gujarat. It is famous for its educational institutions. It was one of the most prosperous states of India during British Rule governed by Maharaja SayajiRao Gaekwad.
Climate: Semi Arid
Budget: INR 1000-1500 approximately for a day.
How to reach:
- Vadodara is 2 hours drive (120 km) from Ahmedabad. Express Trains are available from Ahmedabad. (approx. INR 200-250 for reserved seats, else unreserved seats are available for INR 100-120).
- Buses are also available from Ahmedabad. (approx. INR 175-225 per ticket).
Taxis can be hired starting from a budget of INR 1200.
Local city buses charges around INR 8-25 depending on distance. Auto Rickshaw and Cab services provide service at INR 50-200 depending on the distance. A Vadodara Darshan bus facility is been started by Municipal corporation of Vadodara. You can get more details here.
Places to Visit:
Laxmi Vilas Palace: Used by the rulers of Vadodara for residing purpose, it is one of the best Palace in India. It is owned by Gaekwad dynasty, previously the rulers of vadodara. It was built in 1890. It has a wide collection of vintage cars and swords. It can be reached from airport (7 km) and from railway station (4 km). Auto Rickshaw or cab both can be preferred.
- Opening hours: 9:30 AM to 5 PM
- Visiting Hours: People spend around 20 minutes to 1 hour in the palace.
- Entry Fees: INR 225 per person, free entry for children below 10 years.
- Important Note: Photography is not allowed from outside.
Sayaji Baug: Sayaji baug, also popularly known as Kamatibaug is dedicated to the citizen of Vadodara by Maharaja SayajiRao Gaekwad in 1879.This garden consists of many places for tourist attraction. One of the most popular tourist attraction of Sayaji Baug is the Toy Train. It gives ride of whole garden and adult can also sit in this train. Planetarium and zoo are other important places to visit. It is close to the Laxmi Vilas Palace and can be reached by an auto rickshaw at cost of around INR 20-30.
- Opening Hours: 4 AM to 10 PM
- Visit Duration: To visit whole garden and every place it will take around 6-7 hours.
- Entry Fees:
INR 7 per adult for planetarium INR 5 per child for Planetarium
INR 40 per adult for toy train INR 20 per child for toy train
INR 10 per adult for zoo INR 5 per child for zoo.
Baroda Museum and Picture Gallery: It resembles the London’s famous Victoria and Albert and Science Museum. The place consists of some beautiful paintings of European painters. The major attraction is the Egyptian mummy and the skeleton of blue whale. Museum is at a walking distance from the Sayaji baug and it takes about 15 minutes to reach here.
- Opening Hours: 10:30 AM to 5:30 PM
- Entry Fees: INR 10 per person for Indian and INR 200 per person for foreigner
- Visit Duration: 3-4 hours.
Sursagar Lake: Situated in the middle of the city is a very beautiful lake with 120 ft tall idol of Lord Shiva in the middle of the it. It has been built by Vadodara Mahanagar Seva Sadan. It can be reached from Museum by taxi or rickshaw for around INR 50-60.
- Opening hour: Whole day
- No entry fees
- Visit Duration: 15-30 minutes
EME Temple: It’s a Temple which is run by the Indian Army Authorities. It’s a temple dedicated to lord Shiva. the temple is covered with aluminum sheets. It is also called as Dakshinamurthy Temple. It can be reached here by rickshaw or city transport also.
- Opening hours: All days except Sunday 9:30 AM to 5 PM
- No entry Fees.
- Visit Duration: 60-75 minutes.
What and where to eat in Vadodara:
Vadodara is famous for its spicy food especially sev usal .One can find many outlets of this. Other famous item of Vadodara is Lilo Chevla.
- Sasuma Restaurant: (approx. INR 200 per dish) : This restaurant serves the best Gujarati Food in the city. It gives variety of dishes and Gujarati sweets. We strongly recommend to visit and try the food of this place.
- The Express Hotel: (approx. INR 550 per dish): This restaurant serves the best Punjabi cuisine and is famous for its deserts.
Shopping in Vadodra:
Vadodara has one of the most famous shopping markets in the state at Raopura. It is situated near Sayaji baug and one can buy things at reasonable rates. Places like Alkapuri also provide great shopping experience for foreigners also.
When in Vadodra, make sure you visit these places and eateries! Do let us know if you oiked this article. For queries, please comment below or click here.