With an extended coastline and pristine blue waters, Tarkarli is a small village located at the confluence of the Karli River and the Arabian Sea. It is a famous tourist attraction in the Malvan region for its coral reef.
Best time to visit:
- October-March is the best period for snorkelling and scuba diving. But these are cheaper during June-July.
- Avoid going from July to September as it experiences heavy rainfall.
- Ramnavmi festival is celebrated here in March which is also a good time to explore the religious side of the village.
How to reach:
- Nearest airport : Dabolim (81 km)
- Nearest station : Kudal (45 km). A rough fare for the train would be around INR 300 for Non-AC and INR 800 for AC. There are many trains regularly serving Kudal from Mumbai, Goa and Pune. You can either take a taxi or a bus from the station to Tarkarli.
- There are no direct buses to Tarkarli. Malvan is a town where the buses stop and from here you can take a rickshaw or taxi.
- For local transport you can either take autos or hire a scooter on rent. Starting from approximately Rs. 350 +.
Where to stay:
There are many options near the beach for accommodation starting from Rs. 1200 a night.
- The cheapest option would be MTDC Tarkarli beach resort. (Rs.2400 for 5 people). The reservations are available online also. To know more, click here.
- Blue sea beach resort and Silica resort are among the other famous hotels.
What to do:
Scuba diving: Dive into the grandiose blue waters of Tarkarli and explore the tropical marine life. A dive, 25-30 mts deep would cost you roughly 1500 rupees.
- They also take professional HD photos underwater. You may ask your booking agency for the rates.
Snorkelling: The difference between snorkelling and scuba diving is that snorkelling is done on the surface and scuba diving is done in deep waters. Snorkelling would range from 300 to 400 rupees.
Stay in a houseboat: This is an amazing experience. The backwaters of Karli river provide you with house-boating facilities. These houseboats have everything ranging from luxurious ac rooms, music systems, upper decks to enjoy the serene waters. Few of these also provide you with fishing rods and binoculars for gazing into the starlit sky. House-boats would charges start from 3k and above.
Parasailing: Fly high above the sky and experience the spectacular view of blue waters and beaches from the top. Paragliding would cost you around 500-600 bucks.
Water sports: Like every other beach, Tarkarli also has a lot of water sports like jet ski, banana boat/bumper boat ride etc. Click here to find amazing deals and packages.
Dolphin watch: There are high chances of spotting these playful creatures during boat rides on the shores of Nivti beach and Achra beach. Their gracefulness will add a splendour to your trip.
Sightseeing in Tarkarli:
Tarkarli has plenty of options to explore:
- The massive fort of Sindhudurg built by Shivaji Maharaj still stands strong on the Kurte island, a 20 minute ride from Tarkarli. This was an important seafort at that time and reflects Deccan architecture of that era.
- Devbaug which can be translated as ‘God’s garden’ truly lives upto this name as this place which is a few minutes to the south of Tarkarli has the Tarli backwaters on one side and Arabian sea on the other. You will see beautiful white sand beaches. It has Sangam, the point where the Karli river drains into the Arabian sea which is truly mesmerising to watch the sunset here.
- As the name says it all Golden rock is yet another fascinating place near the Nivti beach. There is also a Rock garden nearby.
- For the devout, are the famous temples of Mahapurush, Khalcha and Vitthal. Ramnavami is celebrated in the Mahapurush temple with great pomp.
- Malvan market is the biggest fish market in this area. You can head here to find various kinds of fishes.
- Bison national park in Dajipur is a habitat to many species of wildlife. The bison can be easily spotted here. Among others are wild deer, chital, gawa.
Where to Eat:
Do not miss the lip smacking malavni cuisine in Tarkarli which offers you everything from fresh sea food to kombdi vadas and sol kadi that too at a reasonable rate.
- Bamboo restaurant is rated the best in this area. Crab and dried fish is a must try here. (approx. INR 400 for 2)
- Chaitanya in Malvan market is also good. (INR 300 for 2).
- Even the MTDC resort has delicious food to offer.
Tarkarli, along with its immaculate beaches and exquisite cuisine is definitely a place to let you shed off all your worries and have some amazing memories to cherish.
Total Budget : Rs.4000 approx. per person for 2 days 1 night. (inclusive of everything)