Famous for its temples, yoga and the river Ganga, Rishikesh has become a hub for adventure sports in India. You can take a one day trip to Rishikesh and tickle your daring nerve here.
Budget: 800-1000 INR (average)
Best Time To Visit:
- The rafting season starts from September and stays till June.
- Avoid going in the winter season as the water is very cold.
- It is not advisable to visit Rishikesh for rafting in the monsoon.
Types of Rafting You Can do:
Brahmapuri route: Covering a length of 9 kilometers, it is the most popular route among the tourists. There is no bar on age so anyone can partake the activity.
- Usually it takes upto 1.5 hours and covers 4, grade 1 rapids.
- Cost- Rs 300
Shivpuri route: for those of you who want thrilling rides and are inexperienced, this is the best route you can take. It covers some bone chilling rapids and takes around 3 hours to complete.
- The cost can be negotiated upto Rs 500, so pack your bargaining skills with you.
Marine Drive route: This is both, a terrifying and mesmerizing route, which will give you enough adrenaline rush. Counted among one of the difficult routes, it covers around 24 kilometers in 6 hours. If you do not know how to swim and are not used to deep water, avoid this route.
- Cost- Rs 800
Kaudiyala route: This is the most difficult route, and you will be challenged to the core here. This route tests both mental and physical endurance while taking your adrenaline to a new high. This is the longest route covering approx 34 km in 8 hours. The cost can go up to Rs 1700.
Tip: For a beginner the first two routes are recommended.
Where to find rafting stuff:
Most of the shops that provide rafting gear and guide are located near Lakshman jhula. You can reach there by an auto rickshaw. They just charge Rs 10.
Some of the shops that provide rafting near lakshman jhula are:
Dark woods adventure. Ph. No. +(91)1352431132
Rafting and Camping. Ph. No. +(91)8979139662
Where to Eat:
Café de Goa: One of the best restaurant in Rishikesh. You can enjoy variety of cuisines while enjoying the scenic view Ganga provides.
- Average cost- Rs 200
Chotiwala: Its an age old establishment which serves cheap and tasty food. Located near lakshman jhula, you can enjoy garhwali and north Indian cuisine here.
- Average cost- 150
There are quite a number of dhabas near the lakshaman jhula where you can have really cheap Indian food. It will cost around Rs 50 per person.
The mentioned restaurants are located near the jhula as well.
How to reach:
You can take a direct bus from Kashmere Gate ISBT Delhi to Rishikesh.
- Standard buses cost 230 INR.
- Semi deluxe buses cost around 340INR.
- It is 229 km from Delhi. Going by road is the best option.
Alternatively, you can take a train till Haridwar. And then take a bus from there. It takes 1.5-2 hrs to get to Rishikesh from Haridwar. Local buses cost around Rs 30.
- Carry extra pair of clothes as you will get wet while rafting.
- Try negotiating while booking your guide, they reduce the price a lot.
- Try not to eat too much before rafting, the water might make you woozy.