One of the India’s most popular tourist destinations, Manali is a quaint hill station surrounded by picturesque mountain peaks. This charming little town has something to offer to everyone. So, if you are on your honeymoon or you want to see snow or maybe you want to indulge in some adventure, Manali is the place to go.
Best time to visit: All year long. Jan-Feb (for snowfall)
Places to visit:
Located 2.5 km from manali, this temple is located in a forest, namely Dhoomri forest. Surrounded by tall pine trees, this place of worship is a treat for your spiritual side. In winters, the whole place is covered in snow, which adds to its immense beauty.
- Timings: 8AM-6PM
Located on the mall road, van vihar is a municipal garden surrounded by tall deodar trees. It is the perfect place to have a picnic with your friends and family. You can take a stroll along the path and there is a pond where you can enjoy boating too.
- Timings: 08:00 am – 07:00 pm (Summer)
08:00 am – 05:00 pm (Winter)
- Entry fee: Rs 5 per person, Rs 30 for boating
Located on the bank of River Manalsu Nallah, it is a fun zone with several indoor games. You can also check out their HPTDC approved gift shops. There is in house restaurant to satisfy your stomach’s cravings. For the adventurous souls, there is river crossing activity which is done by hanging on a rope.
River crossing activity: Rs. 350 approx.
Manali has two prominent Tibetan monasteries; Gadhan Thekchhokling Gompa and Himalayan Nyingamapa Gompa. These places provide a beautiful insight of the Tibetan culture and art. The first is located in old manali while the latter is near the mall road.
Note: All the listed places are accessible by local transport. It is advisable that you book a taxi for the whole day and cover all the places. It will cost you around INR 600.
Where to go:
A gateway to Lahaul and Spiti valley, a trip to manali is incomplete without Rohtang pass. Covered with snow all year round, it is truly nature in its pure form.
Aside from breathtaking view, Rohtang offers various challenging treks and amateur skiing.
You can rent winter clothes on the way to rohtang from manali. It is open from May to September and is very crowded with tourists from all over india. You can take a government bus or AC cab to reach here. A cab will cost you around INR 1200.
Skiing: Rs. 300
A place for adventure enthusiasts, solang valley offers a plethora of activities along with its serenading beauty. From paragliding to horse riding and zorbing to skiing, it has something for everyone. You can choose according to your preference.
In winter, it is covered with snow and you can indulge in skiing then. It is located 14 km from Manali and it is advisable to book a taxi for a two way trip from there. It will cost around INR 1300.
Zorbing: Rs. 350
Paragliding: Rs. 600 for a 2 minute ride.
Where to stay:
- Kapoor resort: It is a budget hotel located on the Hadimba road. It is just a 15 min walk from the Mall road. Cost: 800 per night
- The anatmaya resort: Located on nagger road, it is a three star hotel. Breakfast and parking is free here. Cost: 6000 per night
- YHAI Manali: This hostel is the best place to stay in if you are a solo traveller. It is located in prini. Cost: 1000 per night.
Where to eat:
- Café 1947: Specializing in Italian cuisine, this café is located near the manu temple road. They provide live music with professional singers along with delicious food. Cost– Rs 400
- PEOPLE: Located in old manali, People offers a wide range of cuisines. There is an open terrace seating so you can treat your eyes and tongue at the same time. Cost: Rs 200
- You can also take a stroll along the mall road and try some of the local fast food there.
How to reach (from Delhi)
- By Air: The nearest airport from Manali is in Bhunter. It is located 52 km from manali. You can take a local bus from there. (Cost– Rs 40).
- By road: This route is advisable. You can take a bus from Delhi, kashmere gate ISBT to Manali. It takes around 12-13 hours to reach. (Cost– Rs 700)
- Carry heavy woollens in winter as the temperature dips to -5 degrees.
- Bargaining is the way of life, try negotiating to a fair price.
- Rohtang pass is closed in winters.
Manali offers an enriching experience and you must travel there once in a life time. It is hard not to fall in love with its raw beauty.