Jhansi is one of the most famous places of historical importance. With beautiful art and architecture, it is the perfect place for someone wanting to explore the history of Rajput Dynasty.
Best time to visit: October to December
Places to See Around:
Jhansi Fort– Built by Raja Bir Singh Deo of Orchha in early 17th century. The fort has a major history related to the sepoy mutiny of the 1857 revolt. It also treasures artifacts and protected things in the Jhansi Museum located inside the fort itself. Also Karak Bijli tank is an important tourist spot here.
- Opening Hours: 7 am to 6 pm
- Entry fee: INR 5 per Indian citizen.
Mahalakshmi temple- Dedicated to Goddess Laxmi, this temple shows the grandeur of the Rajput era. It is one of the must-visit places in Jhansi.
Maharaja Gangadhar Rao ki Chattri– It was built by Maharani Laxmi Bai after the death of the King of Jhansi and her husband, it is one of the most ancient monuments in Jhansi.
Rani Mahal– It was the residence of Rani Laxmi Bai. It is a beautifully built palace and also different from the very basic Bundelkhand architecture.
- Opening Hours: 7 am to 5:30 pm.
Where to eat:
- For fine dining, I would suggest to eat in the hotels where you are staying for the night.
- If fast food is required, you can eat at Jodhpur Mithai Bhandar for some Jodhpuri Kachoris or Samrat hotel for good kebabs.
- For other snacks and fast food Hot Bite is recommended.
- Janak’s hotel also serves good vegetarian food and Chinese cuisine.
How to reach:
- By Train– The Jhansi Junction railway station is well connected to all major cities in India.
- By Air– The airport is in Gwalior which is connected to all major cities in India via regular flights. Jhansi city is approximately 100 km away from the Gwalior airport. There are taxis and buses available at all times from the airport to Jhansi. But the flight tickets are pretty expensive starting from 7000 approximately so it’s suggested to take the rail or road route.
Where to stay:
The hotels mentioned below are in civil lines, Jhansi and are some of the best rated hotels.
- Hotel Prakash Regency– Offers internet access, swimming pool, restaurant and a standard room at INR 1400 per night. Also, it is just 1 km away from the Jhansi Fort.
- Hotel Sita– Offers internet access, restaurant and a standard room at INR 1500 per night and is approximately 3 km away from Jhansi Fort.
- Hotel Rishabh– Offers internet access, swimming pool, restaurant and a standard room at INR 1000 per night. This hotel is approximately 2.5 km away from Jhansi fort.
Tip for the trip:
- Jhansi being a small city, can be covered in a day or two so it is advised to make reservations of the hotels accordingly.