A collection of lots of small islands, this is a place for all sorts of adventure. A vacation on Andaman and Nicobar islands recommended for those who love trying adventure sports and also for those who would love to know more about India’s colonial past.
Best time to visit: November to mid-May
How to reach:
- By Air– Chennai and Kolkata airports are well connected to Port Blair. Flight tickets from Chennai to Port Blair are for approximately INR 4840.
- By Sea– Many ships are available from Chennai, Kolkata and Vizag to Port Blair. The fares for deluxe first class cabins are approximately INR 6000.
Where to stay:
- Sea shell– Offers luxurious rooms at a price of INR 8406 approximately. With a good restaurant and free wifi, this hotel is just 11 minutes’ walk from the Pheonix jetty terminal and 2kms from the Samudrika Naval Marine Museum. Also offers complimentary breakfast and splendid sea facing views.
- Andaman residency– This is a 2-star hotel offering its services for INR 1565. Serves complimentary breakfast along with facilities like bar, car rentals and a rooftop terrace with beautiful views. This hotel is just 2.6 km from the cellular jail and 1.1 kms from the Samudrika Naval Marine Museum.
- Sinclairs Bay View-This hotel is just 5kms from Veer Savarkar International airport. Offers luxurious amenities like a spa, fitness room, outdoor pool, beach access and barbeque grills. This hotel offers its rooms at INR 8956 with complimentary breakfast.
- Hotel Sentinel– Offers outdoor swimming pool and lush green gardens at INR 9809. It is 2.9kms from Veer Savarkar airport and 5kms from Corbyn’s Cove Beach. Also there is complimentary breakfast.
What to do:
Visiting different islands
There are a number of different islands like Havelock Island, Neil Island, Port Blair, and Ross & Smith Island. All the islands contain different spots of attraction which can be visited. You can take a kayak tour in Havelock islands to witness bioluminescence on no moon nights in water due to the presence of phytoplankton. Also try island hoping to view beautiful scenes of sunrise and sunset from different islands.
There are various water sports present here at the above mentioned islands. You can enjoy water sports like scuba diving at a starting price of 1800 and snorkelling at INR 500. You can gain a very different and new experience by trying sea walking at a rate of 2500-3000 bucks. Also kayaking, banana boat riding, jet skiing and speed boat rides can be taken just for INR 600-700.
Glass bottom boat ride
To witness the beautiful sea without getting wet, one should try this. Merely at a price of 500 per person it is an experience worth gaining.
You can take a seaplane ride from Port Blair to Havelock islands or vice versa for INR 2000 per person for one way.
A prison constructed by the British to exile political prisoners, this is a place of high historical importance. A must visit to know more about India’s past. The entry ticket is for INR10. The cost for cameras is INR 25 whereas for video cameras it is INR 100. The place is open Tuesday to Sunday from 8:45 am to 12:30 pm and again from 1:45 pm to 5 pm.
One of the cleanest beaches in India, it is a scenic place with its white sand, blue waters and a splendid sunset.
Fondly called Paris of the East by the British; this attractive place was destroyed by the Japanese invasion and earthquake of 1941. You can visit it to witness remains of British architecture.
Limestone caves in Baratang
Natural limestone caves in Baratang are a pleasure to traveller’s eyes. More than the place itself, the ferry or the boat way route is more intriguing. The dense forest and tribal reserves gives you an adrenaline rush.
Where to eat
- Full Moon Cafe– Offers a variety of cuisines at reasonable price rates. Specializes in sea food and English breakfast. Prices range from Rs. 100 to 600 per person.
- New lighthouse restaurant– Offers amazing food at good prices. Look out for tasty lobsters at fair prices. Costs 400 for two people.
- Golden spoon- It is a frozen yoghurt chain and believes in health consciousness. It is famous for its tasty fishes. Costs 350 for two people.
- Golden dragon- Serves excellent Chinese food. Food prices range from Rs100 to 1000 for two people.
- Paradise Café- A pure vegetarian restaurant with delicious food from all parts of India. Dishes range from Rs100 to 500 for two people.
Local transport in Andaman and Nicobar islands
- Taxis, autos, buses and boats are the local modes of transportation in Andaman.
- There is a pre-paid taxi service here with all the fares set by the local transport department.
- Also motor bikes can be hired on all islands for Rs300 to 400 per day.
- You can also hire a car which will approximately cost Rs550 for 35kms.
- There are ferries available to hop on and off between different islands. The rates for ferry rides are usually Rs150-200 per person.
Andaman and Nicobar islands may be way far away from the main land but they are definitely worth a visit if you really want to experice what pristine nature is like. We suggest, do go with your friends, family or eeven solo to have one of the best experiences of life.